Why do this?
It's a tremendous responsibility to be a parent. Now you get to practice being one. You are a single foster parent (and the main caregiver) who is being given the responsibility to care for a "small child" (or children - 2 or 3) for a designated period of time.
Just because this baby is yours you will love it. It doesn't matter what it looks like. Some babies are born smooth and have lots of hair and look perfect when born; others are all wrinkled with smished noses and pointed heads. Parents love them because they are theirs.
You will be keeping your "small child" for 7 days, beginning on Thursday January 20th and ending on Wednesday January 26th. During that time it is your responsibility to keep your "small child/children" with you and safe at all times.
Beginning of project
- You must come up with something to carry your baby/babies in. It must be in class on the day you get your baby (DAILY GRADE). A good idea is a small gift bag and something to stabilize your child/children. It is NOT okay for you to stuff your child into a backpack or pocket of jacket - that is considered abuse and will result in points being deducted to your grade.
- You will be given a child (or children) and care book. Your child/children will be randomly assigned to you by drawing a number. The children will have been randomly assigned numbers and genders.
- During the project it will be your responsibility to keep up with your child/children and be sure your child/children is being taken care of at all times. You will also need to keep your care book updated with all information as it happens to you and your child/children.
- Your children go with you all the time - during school and outside of school - the project is designed for you to learn about being responsible for someone/something else that is living. If for some reason you are doing something where it is impossible to care for your children, you have a LIMITED NUMBER of babysitting hours available each day. IT IS NOT OKAY TO NEGLECT OR ABUSE YOUR CHILD/CHILDREN - points will be deducted from your grade for doing this.
- You MUST have your child/children with you in FCS or points will be subtracted from your grade.
End of the project
- You will need to turn in your CHILD/CHILDREN and your BABY CARE BOOK (major grade). You will also need to finish filling out your baby care book.
- If you have lost MY BABY CARE BOOK you will need to reprint another one. It is your responsibility to have the baby book filled out when you turn in your baby. Turning in the book later will result in a loss of points on your major grade.
- Link BABY BOOK(if you need to print a new one)
- You will also need to fill out an EVALUATION of your thoughts on the project (daily grade). This will be done in class on Wednesday.
back to Families and Child Development page